- 1840 – Prince Albert (pictured) of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha married Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom at the Chapel Royal, becoming prince-consort.
- 1930 – The Viet Nam Quoc Dan Dang launched the failed Yen Bai mutiny in the hope of ending French colonial rule in Vietnam.
- 1962 – “Rudolf Abel“, a Soviet spy arrested by the FBI, was exchanged for Gary Powers, the pilot of a CIA spy plane that had been shot down over Soviet airspace two years earlier.
- 1964 – The Royal Australian Navy aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne collided with the destroyer HMAS Voyager while both were performing manoeuvres in Jervis Bay in New South Wales, Australia, killing over eighty of Voyager‘s crew.
- 1996 – Deep Blue defeated Garry Kasparov in a game of chess, the first ever game won by a chess-playing computer against a World Chess Champion under chess tournament conditions.
- 2008 – An arson fire severely damaged the Namdaemun gate in Seoul, the first of South Korea’s National Treasures.