- 1689 – Glorious Revolution: Mary Stuart and her husband William III of Orange were proclaimed co-rulers of England.
- 1931 – New Delhi became the new capital of British India.
- 1934 – The Soviet steamship SS Chelyuskin, while attempting to travel through the Northern Sea Route from Murmansk to Vladivostok, became trapped in drift ice and sank (pictured). The members of the subsequent search and rescue team were the first recipients of the Hero of the Soviet Union award.
- 1991 – Gulf War: The United States Air Force dropped two laser-guided “smart bombs” on an air raid shelter in Baghdad, Iraq, that was believed to be a military command site, killing at least 408 civilians.
- 2008 – Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd apologised to Indigenous Australians and the Stolen Generations.