- 1600 – The Peruvian stratovolcano Huaynaputina exploded in the most violent eruption in the recorded history of South America.
- 1884 – More than sixty tornadoes struck across the Southern United States, believed to be among the largest and most widespread tornado outbreaks in American history.
- 1910 – The football stadium Old Trafford in Greater Manchester, England, hosted its first match between Manchester United and Liverpool.
- 1942 – World War II: In the largest attacks mounted by a foreign power against Australia, more than 240 bombers and fighters of the Imperial Japanese Navy bombed Darwin, Northern Territory.
- 1986 – The first module of the Soviet space station Mir (pictured) was launched, establishing the first long-term research station in space.