Foreign Secretary William Hague has called on Israel and the Palestinians to return to the negotiating table after the US vetoed a draft United Nations Security Council resolution condemning the building of settlements on occupied land. Britain joined France, Germany and 11 other members of the Security Council in backing the Palestinian-tabled.
Twelve months ago, Marjah was a ghost town, deep in rural Helmand province and deep in the grip of the Taliban. The bazaar was closed and those who could run had fled; the rest cowered in their homes.
Poverty, repression, decades of injustice and mass unemployment have all been cited as causes of the political convulsions in the Middle East and north Africa these last weeks. But a less recognized reason for the turmoil in Egypt, Tunisia, Algeria, Yemen, Jordan and now Iran has been rising food prices, directly linked to a growing regional water crisis…
Latest World News
- Libyan protesters risk ‘suicide’ by army hands The Guardian
- Gaddafi fights for his future as up to 200 die in Benghazi The Independent
- Internet firms’ valuations reminiscent of bubbles San Fransisco Chronicle
- Adieu to festivities Khaleej Times
- ’60 Minutes’ sparks media Brown-out Boston Herald
- Pakistani singer Rahat Ali Khan, manager fined Rs 15 lakh The Times of India
- No evidence Ruben Salazar was targeted in killing, report says The Los Angeles Times
- Libya: Death toll from escalating unrest ‘tops 100’ BBC News
- Hope CCTV images will lead to killer NZ Herald