February 23: National Day in Brunei (1984)
- 1739 – The identity of English highway man Dick Turpin, who had been living under an alias in York, was uncovered by his former schoolteacher, who recognised his handwriting, leading to Turpin’s arrest.
- 1909 – The Silver Dart was flown off the ice of Baddeck Bay, a sub-basin of Bras d’Or Lake on Cape Breton Island, making it the first controlled powered flight in Canada and the British Empire.
- 1941 – Plutonium (a button of the metal pictured) was first chemically identified by chemist Glenn T. Sea borg and his team at the University of California, Berkeley.
- 1945 – World War II: In an Allied bombing run on Pforzheim, Germany, approximately 31% of the town’s population were killed and 83% of its buildings were destroyed.
- 2007 – A Virgin Trains Pendolino express train from London Euston to Glasgow Central derailed near Grayrigg, Cumbria, UK, killing one person and injuring 22.