February 24: Independence Day in Estonia (1918); Flag Day in Mexico
- 1607 – Italian composer Claudio Monteverdi’s L’Orfeo, considered the first fully developed opera, was first performed in Mantua (now in modern Italy).
- 1822 – The first Swaminarayan temple, Swaminarayan Mandir in present-day Ahmedabad, India, was inaugurated.
- 1826 – The Treaty of Yandabo was signed, ending the First Anglo-Burmese War, the longest and most expensive war in the history of the British Raj.
- 1944 – World War II: The United States Army long-range penetration special operations unit known as Merrill’s Marauders began a 1000-mile (1600 km) march over the Patkai region of the Himalayas and into the Burmese jungle behind Japanese lines.
- 2006 – Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (pictured) declared a state of emergency in an attempt to subdue a possible military coup.