February 27: Independence Day in the Dominican Republic (1844)
- 1560 – The Treaty of Berwick was signed, which set the terms under which an English fleet and army could come to Scotland to expel the French troops who were defending the Regency of Mary of Guise.
- 1812 – Manuel Belgrano (pictured) raised the Flag of Argentina, which he designed, for the first time in the city of Rosario, during the Argentine War of Independence.
- 1962 – Two dissident Republic of Vietnam Air Force pilots bombed the Independence Palace in Saigon in a failed assassination attempt of President of South Vietnam Ngo Dinh Diem.
- 1982 – The D’Oyly Carte Opera Company, known for its performances of Gilbert and Sullivan’s Savoy operas, gave its last performance.
- 1989 – A wave of protests, riots and looting known as the Caracazo resulted in a death toll of anywhere between 275 and 3000 people in the Venezuelan capital Caracas and its surrounding towns.