February 28: Peace Memorial Day in Taiwan (1947); Kalevala Day in Finland; Teachers’ Day in Arab countries
- 1893 – The USS Indiana (pictured), the lead ship of her class and the first battleship in the United States Navy comparable to foreign battleships of the time, was launched.
- 1914 – In the aftermath of the Balkan Wars, Greeks living in southern Albania proclaimed the Autonomous Republic of Northern Epirus.
- 1972 – Japanese police stormed a mountain lodge near Karuizawa, Nagano prefecture, to end a ten-day siege by members of the paramilitary group United Red Army.
- 1997 – Two heavily armed bank robbers exchange gunfire with officers of the Los Angeles Police Department in North Hollywood, California, the longest and bloodiest shootout in United States police history.
- 1997 – GRB 970228, a highly luminous flash of gamma rays, struck the Earth for 80 seconds, providing early evidence that gamma-ray bursts occur well beyond the Milky Way.