March 2: The Nineteen Day Fast begins (Bahá’í Faith)
- 1836 – Texas Revolution: At a convention of delegates in Washington-on-the-Brazos, the Mexican state of Texas adopted a declaration of independence, establishing the Republic of Texas.
- 1939 – Italian Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli was elected as Pope and took the name Pius XII (pictured).
- 1943 – World War II: Australian and American air forces attacked and destroyed a large convoy of the Japanese Navy in the Bismarck Sea north of Papua New Guinea.
- 1949 – The B-50 Super fortress Lucky Lady II landed in Fort Worth, Texas, US, after completing the first non-stop around-the-world airplane flight in 94 hours and one minute.
- 1992 – By virtue of gaining membership to the United Nations, Moldova gained international recognition as an independent nation.