March 3: Liberation Day in Bulgaria (1878); Hinamatsuri in Japan
- 1284 – The Statute of Rhuddlan incorporated the Principality of Wales into England.
- 1875 – The first indoor game of ice hockey was played at the Victoria Skating Rink in Montreal, Canada, by James Creighton and McGill University students.
- 1924 – The Free State of Fiume (flag pictured), a short-lived independent free state located in the modern city of Rijeka, Croatia, was annexed by the Kingdom of Italy.
- 1943 – World War II: During a German aerial attack on London, England, 173 people were killed in a stampede while trying to enter Bethnal Green tube station, which was being used as an air raid shelter.
- 1951 – Jackie Brenston, with Ike Turner and his band, recorded “Rocket 88“, often cited as “the first rock and roll record”, at Sam Phillips’ recording studios in Memphis, Tennessee, US.