- 306 – Roman Herculian guard Adrian of Nicomedia, who had converted to Christianity after being impressed with the faith of Christians that he had been torturing, was martyred.
- 1386 – Grand Duke of Lithuania Jogaila was crowned Władysław II Jagiełło (pictured), King of Poland, beginning the Jagiellon dynasty.
- 1899 – Cyclone Mahina struck Bathurst Bay, Queensland, killing over 400 people, the deadliest natural disaster in Australian history.
- 1918 – The first known case of the so-called Spanish flu was first observed at Fort Riley, Kansas, US.
- 1980 – Robert Mugabe of the Zimbabwe African National Union was elected to head the first government in Zimbabwe.