March 6: Independence Day in Ghana (1957)
- 1836 – Texas Revolution: Mexican forces captured the Alamo in San Antonio from the Texans after a 13-day siege.
- 1899 – The German chemical and pharmaceutical company Bayer registered Aspirin (pills pictured) as a trademark.
- 1913 – First Balkan War: The Greek army captured Bizani Fortress near Ioannina from the Turks.
- 1987 – In the worst maritime disaster involving a British registered ship in peacetime since 1919, the ferry Herald of Free Enterprise capsized while leaving the harbour of Zeebrugge, Belgium, killing 193 on board.
- 2008 – A Palestinian gunman shot and killed eight students and critically injured eleven in the library of the Mercaz HaRav yeshiva in Jerusalem.