March 8: Mardi Gras in Western Christianity (2011); International Women’s Day; Mother’s Day in various European countries
- 1010 – Persian poet Ferdowsi completed his masterpiece, the Shahnameh, the national epic of Iran and related societies.
- 1618 – German astronomer and mathematician Johannes Kepler discovered the third law of planetary motion.
- 1655 – The court of Northampton County, Colony of Virginia, made John Casor the first legally recognized slave in Britain’s North American colonies.
- 1910 – French aviatrix Raymonde de Laroche (pictured) became the first woman to receive a pilot’s license.
- 1916 – World War I: A British force unsuccessfully attempted to relieve the Ottoman siege of Kut (in present-day Iraq) in the Battle of Dujaila.