- 1607 – Susenyos defeated the combined armies of Yaqob and Abuna Petros II at the Battle of Gol in Gojjam, making him Emperor of Ethiopia.
- 1830 – The Royal Dutch East Indies Army, the military force maintained by the Netherlands in its colony of the Netherlands East Indies, was established by royal decree.
- 1952 – Forbidden by law to seek re-election, former President Fulgencio Batista (pictured) staged a coup d’état to resume control in Cuba.
- 1965 – Thomas Playford, Premier of South Australia, left office after 27 years, the longest term of any democratically elected leader in the history of Australia.
- 2006 – NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter attained orbit around Mars.