March 15: Ides of March; National Day in Hungary (1848); Hōnen Matsuri in Japan
- 44 BC – Dictator Julius Caesar of the Roman Republic was stabbed to death by Marcus Junius Brutus and several other Roman senators.
- 1776 – South Carolina became the first of Great Britain’s North American colonies to declare its independence.
- 1917 – Tsar Nicholas II (pictured) of Russia was forced to abdicate in the February Revolution, ending three centuries of Romanov rule.
- 1943 – World War II: German forces recaptured Kharkov after four days of house-to-house fighting against Soviet troops, ending the month-long Third Battle of Kharkov.
- 1985 – The company Symbolics became the first ever entity, individual or party to register a .com top-level domain name: symbolics.com.