By NATHAN HODGE in Washington, STEPHEN FIDLER in Brussels and SAM DAGHER in Tripoli The U.S. and its allies intensified air attacks against forces loyal to Col. Moammar Gadhafi Monday. Nathan Hodge has details from Washington and Sam Dagher reports from Tripoli, Libya. The U.S. and its allies worked to expand the protective shield in the skies over…
GAZA (Reuters) – Israel launched air strikes in the Gaza Strip on Monday, wounding at least 19 people, after militants fired mortar shells and rockets into the Jewish state, witnesses and militant groups said. The number of raids and casualties in one evening showed the rising tension between Israel and Hamas, the Islamist group that controls Gaza….
Guatemalan President Alvaro Colom and his wife Sandra Torres have filed for divorce so she can stand for election to succeed him, officials say. Ms Torres announced she would be the governing party candidate in September’s presidential election earlier…
SANTIAGO, Chile – Reaching out to a vast but overshadowed region, President Barack Obama called Latin America a rising giant in the world that must live up to greater responsibilities and speak up for those whose rights are crushed. Firming up his “new era of partnership” with the peoples of South and Central America, Obama made his…
Obama explains U.S. role in Libya (CNN) — The unique military capabilities of the United States made it the leader of initial coalition attacks on Libya in order to establish a no-fly zone and halt Moammar Gadhafi’s forces, but the mission will soon shift to control by NATO or others with participation by Arab nations, U.S. officials insist.
Russia’s President Dmitry Medvedev has said Prime Minister Vladimir Putin’s description of the UN resolution on Libya is “unacceptable”. The rare rebuke came hours after Mr Putin criticised the resolution, which authorised military action to protect Libyan civilians.
Latest World News
- Prosecutor: Evidence links bakery, Bailey killing San Fransisco Chronicle
- Tears as hikoi gathers at Parliament NZ Herald
- Tripoli targeted for third night BBC News
- Opposition to Libya assault grows as allies battle to protect united front The Independent
- PM Manmohan Singh misleading public on US cables: WikiLeaks’ founder Julian Assange The Times of India
- Libya no-fly zone – live news updates The Guardian
- West strikes Libya, Gaddafi forces choke Misrata Khaleej Times
- Chinese seek refunds on salt, but many are denied The Los Angeles Times
- Ex-WRKO talk meister’s fate up to Big Apple jury Boston Herald
- Japan Extended Reactor’s Life, Despite Warning The New York Times