Tokyo: Thousands of Japanese and US troops launched an intensive air and sea operation on Friday to recover bodies of those killed in the huge earthquake and tsunami that ravaged northeast Japan three weeks ago. The grim search came as the government revealed that radiation from a nuclear power plant crippled by the twin disaster had been found in…
ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast-Fighters trying to install Ivory Coast’s democratically elected president descended Thursday on its largest city and seat of power, poised for a final push to unseat the entrenched ruler. Forces backing Alassane Ouattara have overrun nearly 80 percent of the country as soldiers fled and towns fell in quick succession.
TRIPOLI (Reuters) – Rebels cheered the defection of a Libyan minister as a sign that Muammar Gaddafi’s rule was crumbling, but U.S. officials warned he was far from beaten and made clear they feared entanglement in another painful war. After former Libyan foreign minister Moussa Koussa arrived in Britain, London urged others around…
Nato has slapped down Barack Obama and David Cameron by insisting that the Alliance will enforce an arms embargo on all of Libya, including rebel held territory. Rebels have pleaded for more arms and ammunition to supplement dwindling stocks taken from government depots at the start of the conflict Photo: AFP/GETTY By Bruno Waterfield, Brussels…
March 31, 2011 6:30:27 AM By Chizu Nomiyama and Chisa Fujioka TOKYO, March 31 (Reuters) – Pressure mounted on Japan on Thursday to expand the evacuation zone around its stricken nuclear power plant while officials said radiation may be flowing continuously into the nearby sea, where contamination was now 4,000 times the legal limit.
Latest World News
- An ‘all-party’ event: 3,000 political VIPs to attend the match The Times of India
- Revealed: Gaddafi envoy in Britain for secret talks The Guardian
- Anxiety Roils Libyan Capital Amid Top-Level Defections The New York Times
- Britain in talks with 10 more Gaddafi aides The Independent
- Arming rebels not an option, France insists Irish Times
- Buildings to be demolished named NZ Herald
- Californians back raising taxes on state’s wealthy San Fransisco Chronicle
- Evidence unveiled in Craigslist slay Boston Herald
- UK questions Libyan foreign minister BBC News
- Gaddafi’s forces battle rebels for Brega Al Jazeera