Reporting from Johannesburg, South Africa— As forces loyal to rival presidents fought pitched battles in the country’s biggest city, the reported an ominous development in the increasingly brutal struggle for control: the massacre of up to 1,000 civilians in a western town. The killings in Duekoue reportedly came over the course of three days…
TOKYO — A massive tsunami that crippled a nuclear power plant also killed two workers there, the Japanese operator announced Sunday, confirming the first deaths at the complex. The two workers – a 21-year-old and a 24-year-old – had been missing since a massive March 11 earthquake spawned the wave, but their bodies were discovered…
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — WPBF.com State officials said that Pastor Terry Jones’s act of burning the Koran in March 20 fanned the flames of anti-American sentiment and led to dozens of deaths as Muslims attacked a United Nations headquarters in Afghanistan. Seven months after Jones bowed to public pressure and vowed to never burn the…
The fierce standoff between fighters loyal to Laurent Gbagbo, the incumbent president of Cote d’Ivoire, and Alassane Ouattara, the country”s internationally recognised leader, intensified on Saturday. Gbagbo’s force retook the bridge leading to his presidential palace on Saturday, after the opposition had appeared poised to topple the..
At least 12 people are reported to have been killed when a coalition plane enforcing the no-fly zone fired on a rebel convoy between Brega and Ajdabiya late on Friday night.
Latest World News
- Jumper sets off frenzy Boston Herald
- From Far Labs, a Vivid Picture Emerges of Japan Crisis The New York Times
- Gaddafi forces shell rebel-held Misurata Al Jazeera
- Dhoni, Kirsten, Tendulkar make team world beaters The Times of India
- Ronan Kerr was policeman killed in Omagh car bomb BBC News
- Rebels ‘killed by coalition plane’ The Independent
- Starving boy eats roach NZ Herald
- Abu Dhabi crash involving 127 vehicles; one killed, 60 injured Khaleej Times
- Half Moon Bay votes to outsource police services San Fransisco Chronicle
- Omagh booby-trap bomb kills policeman The Guardian